Hazardous Building Material Surveys
Terraphase’s in-house experts provide turnkey services for conducting Hazardous Building Material Surveys (HBMSs), which include the investigation of asbestos-containing materials (ACMs), lead-based paints (LBPs), polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) equipment and materials, mold, radon, and other materials that are collectively identified as hazardous building materials (HBMs).
As required by the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants, an asbestos survey is required to be completed prior to any building renovation and/or demolition project. Additionally, some states have their own specific requirements. The EPA rules are enforced by the local Air Quality Management District (AQMD). We have assisted clients in many jurisdictions, and we frame each project to ensure compliance with all relevant federal, local, and state requirements.
Per California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA), LBP surveys are recommended for worker protection during renovation or demolition projects. Terraphase conducts HBMSs and specializes in ACM and LBP assessment under the supervision of our experienced Cal/OSHA Certified Asbestos Consultants and/or California Department of Public Health certified Lead-Related Construction Inspector/Assessors.
Terraphase also provides the following HBM services:
- Visual inspections for suspect HBMs
- Sampling for HBMs
- Summary reporting for HBMSs (consistent with the AQMD ACM requirements)
- Abatement specifications
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) inspections for school districts
- Negative exposure assessments
- ACM or LBP awareness training
- Abatement oversight and clearance testing for HBMs
- Abatement closure reporting
- Operation and Maintenance Plans for ACMs and/or LBPs
- Assessments for naturally occurring asbestos
- Waste management and oversight
As a small business, Terraphase provides a personal dedication to our customer service, with technical quality to always meet our clients’ needs.